Saturday

It sounds like music

This site is not intended to focus a lot on music. Indymedia.be and other media do much of that lately, with news about summerfestivals in Belgium etcetera. So, I wouldn't know how I could add much more relevant news. Rickie Lee Jones will be performing this month in Antwerp city (Deurne city to be more exact), I can advise people to go there, although concerts are really becoming expensive to attend... Well-known bands are able to perform everywhere, or add expensive visual elements to their music performances. And promoting for bands happens everywhere in Belgium, I see a lot of posters these days.


I have always been more interested in the reasons for people making music than for how the music was made. My tastes for music developed along the years. In my teens I appreciated bands like Sisters of mercy, Anne Clark and other new wavers. I also liked listening to the Dutch reggea- and rockband Doe Maar or music from the sixties (The Doors, Velvet Underground). In my twenties I started to appreciate John Cale and Tom Waits just as much as I had appreciated Lou Reed in my late teens. I got to know political music better. I saw performances of Chumbawumba and The Ex. Now, being in my thirties, I still discover musicians I like listening to, but less than before. I have developed friendships with musicians, like members of Kolokol (loud music from Norway), Bert D'hooghe from Zaam or the soulful Aisha Angela Taylor. But I never really learned how to make music or play an instrument, so I guess I will always remain just an amateur in music sociology and will never be a musician.